Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

I recieved a 6 year(deferred) probation in 1991. I recieved

I recieved a 6 year(deferred) probation in 1991. I recieved a 10 year regular prob in 1992. In 1999 I recieved a 3 year tdc sentence for a probation violation. I started regeristing as a sex offender in 2000. The charges were indecency with a child by exposure. How long do I have to register for since I'm under the old law of 2000?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

Under Texas law, someone in a situation similar to yours would be subject to a lifetime registration as a sex offender.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?

Customer:

Are you there?

Alex J. Esq. :

Yes I am here

Alex J. Esq. :

Were you able to read my answer?

Alex J. Esq. :

Alex J. Esq. :

Customer:

Are you still there? I did not recieve a reply yet.

Alex J. Esq. :

Can you see what I am typing?

Alex J. Esq. :

Can you please let me know if you can see what I am typing?

Customer:

Yes. That was the law in 2000. Even for indecency with a child by exposure. I thought it was for only 10 year after porole or probation?

Alex J. Esq. :

Actually, in Texas it is a lifetime registration.

Alex J. Esq. :

You can also confirm this information with the local sheriff department.

Alex J. Esq. :

Texas has some of the toughest registration requirements for sex offenders.

Customer:

Not if it indecency with a child(no contact)

Alex J. Esq. :

What level sex offender are you?

Customer:

Should be violent. Not really sure. I've been regeristing for 13 years and have never been O

Customer:

I meant non violent.

Alex J. Esq. :

I will double check on this for you. Please give me a minute

Customer:

Ok thanks Alex. I really need to know for sure because I was told all these years that it was only 10 years and now all of a sudden they are telling me life. It can't be since I would fall under the old law. I am hoping.

Alex J. Esq. :

Thank you for waiting.

Alex J. Esq. :

I did check and it is lifetime, since the new law does apply retroactively and you would be subject to the new law requiring a lifetime registration.

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to bring you this tough news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even if the answer is not favorable to the customer.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Alex J. Esq. :

Here is the link confirming this information:

Alex J. Esq. :

https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DPS_WEB/Support/Faq/index.aspx?PageIndex=Index&QuestionID=308&AreaID=1

Customer:

I guess not. Thanks for trying to help Alex

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Customer:

I have no choice now. I pay the consequence. Thks again.

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you !

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor