Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Will I be denied for a security license because of a misdemeanor

Will I be denied for a security license because of a misdemeanor that was sealed?

I'm a NYS lawyer.

How did you get a misdemeanor sealed? Was it a YO or juvenile matter?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

YO, 2 counts of petit larsony in 2008. I was 15 years old. I received a letter from the State Licensing Dept. requesting dispositions for both.

Although a state licensing bureau can see this, unlike a private agency or employer, a YO matter does not count as a conviction in New York State and neither do JO matters. Both are deeply sealed.

You need to give the licensing bureau the information that they require, but it should not be an absolute bar to your getting a security license.

Do you know how to get the disposition? You need to go to the Central Clerk's office in the jurisdiction where you were charged and ask for a Certificate of Dispostion. As your matter is sealed you will need to present identification showing it's really you.

It will cost you $10 cash. They don't give change. (See link)

Good luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your help. I have had a great deal of anxiety over the issue. I'd been seeking an answer to this matter since I received the letter but I didn't know where I could get an answer that was accurate as apposed to someone just telling me what I wanted to hear, therefor I'm grateful to have stumbled upon your services. Thank goodness for google! ...and you. I was also pleased as to the timeliness of your reply. Also thank you for the "luck"...

Thanks for the kind words!

What's nice is that if once you get your license you apply for a job with a private company rather than a city, state, or federal agency, you don't have to disclose the JO/YO and they will be unable to find it at all.