Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

my partner forge my signature to filing my tax return in 2011

Customer Question

my partner forge my signature to filing my tax return in 2011 and 2010,

how long about statute of limitations for forge signature prosecutions
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.

The statute runs out in three years. The clock starts ticking down when the crime should first have been reasonably discovered.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"The statute runs out in three years." is in California ?

Could you tell me the section # in Code,

How can I report he forge my signature to filing my tax return, How to report?

I need help

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.

This would be section 801 of the CA Penal Code. You can see all of the state's statutes of limitation here. (See link)

If you want to report this to the California authorities you would go to the police, tell them that you want to write up a report because your partner forged your signature on your tax returns (and took your refund, if he did that as well). Tell them that you would like to get criminal charges pressed. They can turn the file over to the DA for prosecution.

If for any reasons, the police aren't interested, (people who live together frequently sign for each other, so there may be problems proving an intentional forgery) they you'd go directly to the DA and see if you can get them to press charges there.

More importantly, you need to contact the IRS and tell them. They will tell you what form to use to report this type of fraud. Here is their contact information here.