Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer

someone set fire to burn his house at 1992 in California, almost

Customer Question

someone set fire to burn his house at 1992 in California, almost 23 years ago, police no know who set fire. one year ago I got evidence that he claim house damage insurance from insurance company he claim house damage insurance, Obviously, he fraud insurance at 23 years ago, Can I report Fraud Insurance to Frau division, and how long about statute of limitations for fraud insurance prosecutions
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Loren replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Under CA state law the statute of limitations for prosecution of a fraud crime is 4 years from the discovery of the crime, or within four years after the completion of the offense, whichever is later. The penal code section which provides this information is Section 801.5.

It is highly unlikely that the state would prosecute after 23 years even though a case could be made that the fraud was only discovered one year ago.

I hope this answers your question.

Thank you.