Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can a New Jersey resident buy a hand gun or rifle, shotgun in Pennsylvania with out permi

Customer Question

Can a New Jersey resident buy a hand gun or rifle, shotgun in Pennsylvania with out permits
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Hello friend. My name is Ely, and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Generally speaking yes. PA does not require a permit for the following:

Purchasing rifles
Purchasing shotguns
Carrying rifles
Carrying shotguns

PA does require a permit to carry handguns, however. And an NJ permit to carry is not recognized in PA. According to the Pennsylvania Attorney General here.

However, if all one wants to do is to purchase a hand gun, rifle, or shotgun in PA, this should not be an issue for an NJ resident provided of course they do not have a criminal record denying them.

Laws change frequently and some shops have their own rules about selling to non-residents, so it is recommended to call ahead to the shop before going to purchase.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)