Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
58645016

My boyfriend and I recently got into an altercation while he

My boyfriend and I recently got into an altercation while he had been drinking and I ended up calling the cops. He spent the night in jail and now has a no contact order with me until his court date. We don't know how long it will be until he has to go to court and I was wondering if there is any way to get this kind of a no contact order dropped.
Welcome to JustAnswer.

Did you go to the courthouse and apply for a protective order or is the no contact order simply part of his criminal charge?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the no contact order is part of his criminal charge

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alright, thank you for the additional information.

He will have to have an attorney whether that is someone who is hired or court appointed. Once he has an attorney you can talk to him/her about petitioning the court to lift the no contact order. Frankly, they may be reluctant to do so because they will not want him, their client, to risk another similar charge while this is pending.

Also, the judge may be reluctant to lift it as well. The best chance of seeing it lifted would be if you both were in domestic violence counseling.