Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I cant afford an attorney and I just got my 2nd DUI. I cant

I can't afford an attorney and I just got my 2nd DUI. I can't afford to go to jail, I'll lose my job, apartment, truck and possibly the 50% custody of my son. Is there a work release/community service option instead of jail time?
Hello Jacustomer,

Please used the reply tab below to tell me what US state you live in so that I can check into your state's laws and the options you'll have on a second DUI.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

Thanks for the follow up. You will need to get yourself a lawyer, because as you probably know, the minimum penalty for a 2nd California DUI if it's within 10 years of the first is 90 days in jail.

That said, unless the facts and circumstances of your case or your criminal record are particularly awful, a lawyer may be able to negotiate house arrest for you, which would fulfill the statutory requirement by curtailing your liberty but would still allow you to go to work and meet your most basic obligations.