Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

i got charged with posesion of stolen idenity about 4 or 5

i got charged with posesion of stolen idenity about 4 or 5 yrs ago long story short girl i went out with had ben doing identity theft the serched my room an found 4 idenitites on my side of room when to court got 30 days in jail 5 yrs probation think it was dropped to 3 yrs but my question being how much does it cost to have them exspunged from my record i just looking for a ballpark figure i have no clue couple hundred couple thousand thats all im looking to find out they were 4 fedral fellonys dropped ot one felony charge

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Dear XXXXX,

Were you convicted of this one federal felony charge?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Jeff had to leave. This rather nice young lady who had stayed in his home with her husband years before, came to town and needed a place to stay while she tended to some business with her children who were in the care of their father. She never went anywhere without her lap top computer, and accompanied a friend's son up to his home in another state. He had been visiting with his father and things didn't go well and he needed to go home and he needed to be accompanied. Jeff decided to clean out his truck's back seat which was completely taken up with music boxes, etc. He removed the boxes and found a folder full of credit cards. He took them to his room which she was sharing while she was in town, and just set them on the counter. He had never seen them before and expected her back in a couple of days. However, there was a raid on our house and his room in the garage was searched (her side of course), but the folder was just laying out on the counter in plain sight. He was arrested. They could not locate her and he got stuck with the charge of stolen identities (he, who is not computer literate). Anyway, he was told in 5 years (he thinks it might be less) that his record could be cleared so he doesn't have to admit to a felony every time he fills out a job application. His attorney said he knows he didn't do it, but he was found with the evidence and that's how it stands. She is in prison we understand in Southern California which gives us some comfort. Anyway, we were told that in time we could his record expunged or whatever, so he can get a job, and what is involved in doing that. Is it expensive. Any information you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, a federal conviction cannot be expunged and the only legal option that can be done is for you to file petition for the full pardon from US President and if granted, then the conviction can be expunged and forgiven and you would no longer be considered a convicted felon and would not suffer consequences of your felony conviction.

Unfortunately, full presidential pardons are very difficult to obtain and I would strongly suggest that you consult and retain local pardon law attorney who can help you prepare and file your petition for the full presidential pardon.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We understood at the time of conviction that in 5 years he could get it removed from his record as far as not having to show it on applications for jobs, etc., but he would not be eligible for government jobs. This is his concern since now-a-days they don't look at a job-seeker until they have gone over the resume. Is this so in California?

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, you must have been misinformed. Federal criminal convictions cannot be removed or expunged from the criminal record and even an arrest on a federal charge, that does not result in conviction is extremely difficult to expunge, but there is no expungement option when it comes to federal criminal convictions.

I wish you the best of luck!