Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

Hello Lucy, I have called at least 10 attorneys from the Martindale

Customer Question

Hello Lucy,
I have called at least 10 attorneys from the Martindale list and not one of them will take my case. Any other suggestions.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
I have let Lucy know that your question is waiting. If I can be of further assistance let me know.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

The only thing I could suggest is to keep trying. I didn't think you'd be able to get in touch with any attorneys over the holiday at all, but there may be some who were out of the office that might help. There unfortunately isn't any sort of legal aid that can assist here or any way to require an attorney to help someone (other than public defenders in criminal cases).

The other option is to do the research to bring the case yourself. But consider why these attorneys aren't willing to help. Is the case not worth enough (according to them)? Are they too busy right now? Or are they saying that, in their experience, you wouldn't be able to recover? If it's the last one, then you would have to consider whether you want to bring the case despite 10 lawyers saying that they didn't think it had merit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good Morning Lucy,
Most of the Attorneys I spoke with were on Thursday and Friday. Several told me the case is meritorious, but they were swamped with work. The one who said he would take it wanted $5,000.00 down and $1,000.00 per month for 15 months. A total of $20,000.00 as a retainer. I'll continue my search today. I was just wondering if there was anywhere else to look.
Thank you.
That's good that they're saying you have a good case. Martindale is useful if you want someone that practices in a certain area. The only other thing I could suggest is to call the Bar Referral Service for your county, but I think you did that.

If you know any lawyers, you could also ask if they could recommend someone that specifically handles this type of case (even if they don't personally work in that field).