Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I left my 6 year old son in the car locked while I ran into

I left my 6 year old son in the car locked while I ran into Target. I was gone longer than I intended due to long lines, I was gone between 10 and 20 minutes. The cops were called. I explained that I thought that a child 6 years or older were ok, is there a statute in MN for this? And am I in danger of a child endangerment charge??
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.

There's no special law in Minnesota that pertains to leaving a child unattended in a car. However, there has been legislation suggested that would make the act of leaving a child unattended under the age of 9 illegal, but no law has been put into affect.

Instead, if a charge were filed, it would be under the child endangerment law, which you can read here: https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=609.378

Thus, it is possible that charges could be filed under this statute. However, if no harm came to the child, it may not be that a charge will be filed. It's really up to the police officer.