Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

What is the liability or penalty for a person operating/managing

What is the liability or penalty for a person operating/managing a massage business or leasing out space to a masseur if the masseur ends up doing something sexual/illegal? Does the state just close the business or is jail time involved? Is the manager or leaser liable at all?

Welcome and thank you for your question I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

The owner can be held liable if the Prosecution can prove that they knew of should have known there was illegal activity taking place. And in an effort to detemnine that, the business can be shut down for a period of time, until the final result is decided.

There could be jail time involved for the owner of the building, business, if the prosecution can prove that beyond a reasonable doubt and then criminally charge the owner

If you give me the state, I can be more specific to what those possible penalites of jail are.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

New York state.

Under NY Law, there are different degrees of Pormoting Prostitution which is what could be charged to the Owner as per your scenario.

Under Promoting Prostution in the 4th degree it is a Class A Misdemeanor and the possible penalty includes jail not to exceed one year

Under the 3rd degree it is a Class C felony and the possible penalty is 3.5 to 15 years

Under the 2nd degree it is a Class D felony and the possibile penatly is 2 to 7 years

Under the 1st degree it is a Class B felony and the possible penatly is 5 to 25 years

It will depend on the prosecution what they will charge the owner with. Again it has to be proved Beyond A Reasonable Doubt that the owner knew or should have known.