Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX was charged in New York, in 98, for

Customer Question

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX was charged in New York, in 98, for sexabuse 2nd degree misdemeanor. They gave me three years probation ,in which successfully completed. After ten years sora found me and told me i had to regiser for 20 years. The law chaged in 96 for people to have to register for sex crimes. The judge new about this law as well as probation,but i was never ordered to have to register, like i said they came. After me 10 years later and told me this. I feel this railroadment,as well as double jeopardy which is a punishment too. My punishment was the ten years probation. New York, says i only hve to register for 20 years,i reside in Texas. Now and they are making my registry a lifetime registry. Is this as i claim double jeopardy, and railroadment and a violation of my civil rights? What can i do to stop them from ruining my life any more,and what can i do about Texas changing NewYorks laws that they have for me to register for life in this state?

Thank you
Sincerely,
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer :

Yes

Customer :

Yes i am online

Customer :

Are you there

Customer :

What should i do

Customer :

Hello

Customer :

are you with me

Customer :

Can you call me

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

It appears we might be having technical difficulties with our chat mode.

Alex J. Esq. :

Please let me know if you can see what I am typing?

Alex J. Esq. :

Also, we cannot communicate with JustAnswer.com customers outside of this website, so a phone call is not an option.

Alex J. Esq. :

Can you please tell me if you can see what I am typing?

Customer :

Yes i can

Customer :

Can you see mine

Alex J. Esq. :

Yes.

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com.

Alex J. Esq. :

How are you today?

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, I do not have any good news for you and your options in this situation are extremely limited.

Customer :

Im good and you

Alex J. Esq. :

I am fine thanks.

Alex J. Esq. :

Basically, the Sex Registration law that was implemented in 1996 is absolutely legal and is not considered a "double jeopardy".

Alex J. Esq. :

Also, each state has implemented its own sex registration laws, which have different registration requirement for different level convicted sex offenders.

Alex J. Esq. :

So, basically, for someone in a situation similar to your, there would only be two options.

Alex J. Esq. :

In order to no longer be subject to sex offender registration and they are as follows:

Alex J. Esq. :

1) To set aside the 1998 conviction.

Customer :

Yes, but the courts new about it at the time of sentenceing

Alex J. Esq. :

2) To file petition for full Governor's Pardon in NY and if granted, you would be forgiven for the sex crime you were convicted of, and would no longer be subject to the registration as a sex offender.

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, it is a responsibility of each person convicted of a sex related crime to comply with sex offender registration and the courts do not have to inform defendant of such requirements.

Alex J. Esq. :

Also, failure to comply with sex offender registration, can subject the person convicted of a sex offense to new felony charge and potentially to prison time.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense ?

Customer :

I understand thst and im in full compliance. Withvall registies

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, this has happened to thousands of sex offenders who might not have been aware of the sex offender registration requirement and I am glad to hear that you are currently in full compliance, as unfortunately many sex offenders suffered criminal felony convictions, simply due to not being aware of the registration requirements.

Customer :

When im off the registry in New York. How can texas make me keep registering

Alex J. Esq. :

Basically, it is very difficult to set aside a conviction which took place 15 years ago in NY, however you can file a petition for a full pardon and if granted, you would be released from any disabilities that you suffer due to this conviction.

Alex J. Esq. :

No

Alex J. Esq. :

Not if you obtain a full pardon in NY

Alex J. Esq. :

Then, the conviction can no longer be used against you anywhere in the US

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Alex J. Esq. :

Each state has its own sex offender registration laws

Alex J. Esq. :

So for example in Texas and California you would be subject to lifetime registration for sex crime conviction, which might not even require you to register in another state.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Alex J. Esq. :

But if you obtain a full pardon, then you would not be subject to registration any longer anywhere in the US

Customer :

Yes,it makes since how do i file or get a pardon

Alex J. Esq. :

I would strongly suggest that you do hire a local NY post-conviction relief attorney to help you file your full pardon petition, as you will only have one shot at it and you want to make sure that it is done right and with the highest chance of success.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Alex J. Esq. :

Here is the link to the NYS Department of Corrections which explain the process of seeking a full pardon from the governor:

Alex J. Esq. :

https://www.parole.ny.gov/clemency.html

Customer :

Yes,im a low risk level 1 i know some states dont require low ridk offenders to register in there state.

Alex J. Esq. :

Correct

Alex J. Esq. :

It varies greatly from state to state.

Alex J. Esq. :

With California and Texas being the toughest.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?

Customer :

I plan on movine to washington state will they require me to register there i know i willl still jave to in newNew yorkYork.

Alex J. Esq. :

It appears that Washington state also requires a lifetime registration of level 1 sex offenders

Alex J. Esq. :

However, they do not make registration public for level 1 and 2 sex offenders

Alex J. Esq. :

Except for people who are entitled to such information under the law

Alex J. Esq. :

Customer :

After my 20 years are up in new york how do i get Washington and texas to relaese me or take me off there registry

Alex J. Esq. :

I already told you the answer.

Alex J. Esq. :

You would have to obtain a full pardon from the governor of NY

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required.

Customer :

One moore quistion can you referr me to a good lawyer yhat can do that for me

Customer :

Who can

Alex J. Esq. :

We are not permitted to refer JustAnswer.com customers to any specific lawyer or law firm, but you can find an experienced local divorce attorney by using this well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

www.martindale.com

www.lexmundi.com

www.lawyers.com

www.justia.com

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.

Alex J. Esq. :

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Customer :

No thank you. Maybe god can help me more. God bless

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there
Dear XXXXX,