Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

I (the buyer) bought a used car from a private individual (the

I (the buyer) bought a used car from a private individual (the seller). The seller did not register the car in his name (the seller) before selling it. The seller impersonated the previous owner who's name was still on the title. The seller also signed the bill of sale with the previous owners name. I know this is illegal, but it's it a criminal act? Could I press charges?
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

Have you had any contact with the legitimate previous owner?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I have not contacted the previous owner. The reason I am asking this question is because when we found out about the shifty transaction we asked for our money back and the seller said no. I took him to court and i was awarded the amount that I paid for the car, but the seller will not pay. I was hoping I could use the threat of criminal charges to coax him into paying, but I want to make sure I have grounds first.

That additional information does help.

Yes, based on what you've described there would be a criminal act here of forgery in the second degree, which is a felony in Alabama. You can communicate to him that you intend to pursue criminal charges against him and that may motivate him to make payment arrangements.

The relevant Alabama forgery statute can be found here

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.