Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Our son was arrested in Dalhart, TX at 8:00PM on 8/30 while

Our son was arrested in Dalhart, TX at 8:00PM on 8/30 while driving from Colorado to Austin Tx. He was charged with a felony of PG Group 2 "possession of controlled substance and paraphernalia" First offense. It is Friday nite, holiday week-end. He may be arraigned on Saturday, 8/31. We live in Atlanta, Ga How can we get an attorney to represent him at the arraignment in Dalhart, TX closest major city is Amarillo, which is about 80 mi. away?

We have looked online and phoned several attorneys, only getting answering machines.

If he is in jail, then when he comes before the judge, he should be assigned a public defender who will protect his rights for the purposes of the arraignment. That will give you time to find an attorney after the holiday weekend to take over from there. From there, if you call the court back after arraignment you can find out what bail was set and how to post it, if you're interested in doing so.

But try to call the Texas Bar Association's lawyer Referral Service. They may know of lawyers who are working the holiday weekend. I have linked you to their site.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fran, r u still online?

Yup. Eating breakfast.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the link u provided in your post "But try to call the Texas Bar Association's lawyer Referral Service. They may know of lawyers who are working the holiday weekend. I have linked you to their site" lists a telephone number that is only manned Mon-Fri, did you post the correct link?

tnx

Yes, I posted the Bar Association's link. I do not have their hours. I was hoping they had their office staffed on weekends for emergency purposes. Apparently they don't.

If you know the court where he'll be arraigned, you can try to reach the clerk and see if there's a public defender covering arraignments. Every jurisdiction in the country is different and courts set their own administrative procedures in the buildings, but if he's being arraigned today there has to be an office open somewhere in the courthouse, and you might be able to put your mind at ease.

The 6th Amendment right to counsel begins at arraignments, so it is customary in most courts that an incarcerated defendant first coming before the judge will have assigned counsel. But someone there may be able to reassure you.