How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do i go about filing sexual abuse charges in michigan years

This answer was rated:

How do i go about filing sexual abuse charges in michigan years after the abuse occured? I am 32 now. My stepfather sexually abused me from 7 to 10. my mother went to the police and i believe he was arrested at the time. Since i couldnt talk about it then, i dont think any charges were ever filed. I have suffered from ptsd for years and have finally gotten help. Im not looking for money, just justice and a way
to finally have my voice back.
Hello there:

Thank you for your question. The short answer is to go to the police. Despite what is depicted in television and movies, individuals do not file criminal charges or "press charges". Law enforcement agencies alone have the discretion to unleash the criminal justice powers of the state against someone. You need to go to the police and ask them to open a criminal investigation. The statute of limitations for sexual conduct or assault against a minor does not necessarily start when the conduct or assault takes place, so it is not necessarily too late for the culprit to be prosecuted even if the victim is 32 years of age and the crime was committed 25 years ago. Talk to the police.
Brandon M. and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you