Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

If someone is in jail can they have a Facebook page? I mean,

If someone is in jail can they have a Facebook page? I mean, can someone set it up for them and write the comments they want to put on it? Or is that not legal?

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

It isn't a crime for the person to set up a FB page for someone in jail but it can be a violation of the prison rules and it is possible that something they post could be illegal.

JD 1992 :

There have been cases where a FB page was used to pass info from inside the prison to people outside the prison.

JD 1992 :

If that were to occur then the person who set up the FB page and posted things on it could get into trouble as well.

Customer:

So the inmate needs to check wih the jail?

JD 1992 :

Absolutely, so would the person who was setting the FB page up.

Customer:

And what kind of info are you referring to about passing info from inside the prison?

JD 1992 :

In the case I'm referring to they were setting up drop times for people to get stuff inside a prison.

Customer:

oh ok. Thanks

Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.