Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I need to get a Certificate of Conduct from New York. I have

I need to get a Certificate of Conduct from New York. I have 2 unpaid traffic tickets in Florida, and possibly one in New york. I hold a Minnesota Drivers licesne and a new york state id.

I'm trying to pay off my New York ticket, I'm not sure if I still have one open or not. I recently paid of all my parking tickets. I was wondering if New York will issue me a certificate of conduct or do I need to rectify these prior to getting it?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome and thank you for your question I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

Here is the link for the application for the Good Conduct Cert and one of the questions pertains to driver's licenses you have held.

I suggest that is so they can complete the background check for any outstanding tickets or infractions. Therefore, the answer is yes, having those outstanding tickets can hold this process up and it would be prudent to get them in order

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What I really need is a Non-criminal certificate for a Chinese Aviation Pilots license. I don't think the link you sent me is the correct one, I am not applying or been on parole...

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

And thank you I will opt out because I cannot assist you with that or provide such information.

Good luck

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

I am a New York attorney.

A Certificate of Good Conduct or a Certificate of Relief from Civil Disability is designed to prevent employers and licensing agencies from discriminating against a former criminal offender based on his prior criminal convictions. It restores the civil rights he lost as a result of his crime and conviction.

Although you apply for it through the Department of Parole, you need not have ever been on parole or probation to apply for it. The form that the previous professional gave you is, in fact the correct one. This document will explain what the conviction is about and what it can or cannot do for you.

That said, if all that is on your New York record is a traffic infraction, those are not criminal matters, and a Certificate of Relief or Certificate of Good Conduct would not be something for which you would be eligible. To apply for a Certificate of Good Conduct you need to have been convicted of at least two felonies. Otherwise, if your convictions are misdemeanors or you have only one felony, you'd get a Certificate of Relief from Civil disabiities.

This is the only Certificate of Good Conduct that the state offers, so it would appear that whoever advised you to obtain one may be in error. Traffic matters do not show up on one's criminal history, unless they are misdemeanors, such as DWI, hit and run, reckless driving and driving on a suspended license.

Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.