LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
58185682

I have been the victim of cyber stalking

I have been the victim of cyber stalking for some time now. The problem is that the authorities do not have a grasp on it, and the FBI believes the crime is too low on their radar screen to investigate. Sooo, I was trying to figure out how to get a hold of where the cyber stalking is coming from and how to stop it. Most of it has occurred on craigslist, and although I report it to craigslist's abuse and legal, I don't get any response. To make matters worse, whomever the cyber stalker is, has joked that they are using my email account or one of my older email accounts to do it... I don't know this, but after using the internet since 1995, I do have a lot of old accounts.

Long way of saying, how do I get to the source of this?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still thought this would be a good question to have answered. Can we open it up to other experts?

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Your question is open to all of our legal professionals.
Expert:  LegalEagle1 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with you question today.

Please keep in mind that the information you post here is not confidential and not protected by attorney client privilege. With this in mind can you, in general terms, provide a few examples of what you mean by cyberstalking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IDK, coupled with personal information from me or my family's posted - kind of like stalking combined with the private information being posted online to sites I go... it's generally personal referential information and doesn't specifically state our names or anything so it's difficult to get anyone to care...

Well you can initiate a lawsuit naming a "John Doe" defendant seeking damages for any harm this has caused and a seeking a restraining order. You would then either file a subpoena or seek a court order seeking disclosure for the records related to the posting be disclosed so you can see if you can ascertain the identity of the person making the postings.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

_________________________________________________________________
Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what's the lawsuit claim? I get the damages; but what is my claim and what is the jurisdiction / what court would I file in?

You stated you are being cyberstalked and personal information being posted. I assume you would want a restraining order and would sue for whatever harm caused by the disclosure. Since I don't know the nature of the posting I can't really give a better answer.

For a retraining order this is an action in equity so you would file suit in whichever court in your jurisdiction handles equity matters. You can contact the clerk of your local court and ask them which court handles TROs (Temporary Restraining Orders).

LegalEagle1, Criminal Lawyer
Experience: Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
I enjoyed answering your question a few days ago. I just wanted to contact you to see if you needed any further assistance.

Also if you have not yet rated my answer, please do so. This the way I receive credit for my work.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, I am still contemplating your answer, and deciding action if any. I really appreciate your "action in equity" statement which taught me something. It's more a question of whether the CS is pernicious enough which it is, and then I need to understand a basic question. If it's clearly directed at me, has caused much suffering, and needs to stop; but it doesn't specifically point to personal details about myself enough for another person to clearly see it (i.e. using my name and not just indirect references to my personal life), then do I still have a claim?

(BTW - I took a few of the posts to the police, I'm not sure what they did with them, but the officer at least took them and took it seriously enough to say he'd look into it - as sometimes authorities can get to an answer quicker than a civil claim)

To evaluate how the law would apply to the specific facts of your case would require a detailed review of the specific facts of your case. This site is not intended to for that purpose. If you want an evaluation as to how the law would be applied in to your specific facts, you should contact an attorney in your jurisdiction and seek their opinion.

Please take the time to rate my answer. Without a rating I am not compensated. You can continue to the discussion after rating an answer.