Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have seen the following message

I have seen the following message on emails coming from a number of businesses:"CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message."

Is there any law that says that an email with that notice on it cannot be shared with someone else?

No there is no law at all, and email disclaimers haven't got a great deal of legal force and effect. The American Bar Associaton has a good article on disclaimers and why we feel the need to use them, but you can feel free to ignore them in general.

Companies that use them have them like a signature on all their correspondence, whether it's really privileged or confidential or not. That's made them all rather pointless. For some disclaimer humor see this.