Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

My friend has a felony dated 1999, he served his time in Arizona

My friend has a felony dated 1999, he served his time in Arizona he did not kill anyone, but drove by shooting. Is there any hope for him to get a clean record so he can get a good stable job. What can he do please??

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

When did your friend complete his sentence?

Customer: Yes, good morning
Alex J. Esq. :

Good Morning.

Customer: I think he served 2 or 3 years in prison
Customer: Im thinking approx 2003
Alex J. Esq. :

Well, in Arizona a Conviction can be expunged, but unfortunate if your friend was convicted of a violent drive by shooting, he might have to wait 20 years or longer before he would have a fair shot of getting his conviction expunged, as violent felony convictions are extremely difficult to get expunged, than non-violent ones, and the judge would generally want to see a very long time passed without any other criminal issues and full rehabilitation, before an expungement would be entertained by the court.

Alex J. Esq. :

Is you friend still on probation?

Alex J. Esq. :

Also, an expungment does not mean "clean record"

Alex J. Esq. :

It simply means that if a conviction is expunged, it would not have to be mentioned for most non-governmental purposes, however your friend would still be considered a convicted felon.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer: No he already did his probation, yes but he is just wanting to get a good stable job would this help him?
Alex J. Esq. :

Yes.

Alex J. Esq. :

If he can get an expungement approved and granted by the court, but it is not likely with a violent crime and only 10 years after the release from prison.

Customer: So he has to wait 20 yrs,? If he tried getting it expunged now it wouldnt help?
Alex J. Esq. :

I would suggest for you friend to consult with a local post-conviction relief attorney and this local attorney will be able to evaluate your friend's specific criminal case and conviction and would be able to determine if your friend have a chance to apply for an expungement or full pardon at this time.

Alex J. Esq. :

There is no way for anyone to make this type of recommendation, without fully reviewing your friend's case and all the other facts.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer: Oh okay thank you so much for your time and important information.
Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required.

Customer: Thank you so much
Alex J. Esq. :

Thank you and God bless you.