Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

After three hung juries, the defendant is convicted after the

After three hung juries, the defendant is convicted after the fourth jury trial. Is this some type of prosecutorial harassment? This was a homicide case in California. Defendant now facing life.
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

A hung jury legally means nothing has happened, that there is no finding of guilt either way. If the prosecutor so chooses, he can retry every time after a hung jury. The only time he is prevented from refiling the case is in the case of a not-guilty verdict.

Needless to say, retrying a case this many times is highly unusual, but it is not illegal.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just seems a to smack a bit of jury panel shopping to me. Thanks for your input.

Actually, it's just a reset button each time. Each time there is a hung jury, legally nothing has happened. Everything restarts. Finality only comes from a verdict.