Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

I am a non violent convicted felon can I own a modern black

I am a non violent convicted felon can I own a modern black powder gun or pistol?
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

Your probation officer is correct. As a felon you may possess black powder arms. The categories permitted and prohibited are found at 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) and (n) in

Basically, any antique firearm made prior to 1898 or replica firearm that does not use rimfire or centerfire rounds and cannot be readily converted from blackpowder to a conventional firearm is legal in your situation.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My modern black powder gun uses 209 shotgun primers but cannot be converted into a modern firearm.

In that case it would certainly be legal for you to own.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I rated your response as excellent. Thank you