How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26740
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im 20 years old and got a drinking ticket at Alpine Valley

This answer was rated:

I'm 20 years old and got a drinking ticket at Alpine Valley at a concert. I am going to court on Wednesday, very confused as to whether I should plead guilty or not guilty. I am going into Health Care so cannot have a drinking ticket on my record. I would be willing to go to classes and the court personnel on the phone insinuated that my record would show as a littering violation but just not sure what I am supposed to plead. thanks for any help you can give me as we cannot afford a lawyer to take care of this for me.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

I certainly understand the situation and your concern. What exactly did the person who you spoke with over the phone, tell you about this? Do you know why they would mention something about a littering violation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They said with classes it would be dropped down to a littering violation but then when I called back today the clerk said they are not allowed to give any legal advice. It was a first violation. The Court is in Walworth County in Elkhorn Wisconsin, We live in Illinois.

Thank you for the additional information. What they are likely speaking about is a diversion program. This is sometimes offered to first time offenders, like yourself, who want to keep their record clean. When you appear on Wednesday, you can ask the prosecutor handling your case, if they offer a diversion program you can enter into. Often times, they require you to stay out of trouble for a period of 3-6 months, perform some community service, pay a fine and court costs and then the charge is dismissed or amended to something less, so it does not effect your record. They will tell you what you need to plea at that time to get into the program and will likely make you sign a form as well, outlining the terms and conditions.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so would that be entering a not guilty plea? my daughter just told me she blew into a breathalizer, which I was not aware of, and it was a .12, i have never been involved in court proceedings so not sure about all of this. just want to do this right!

Sometimes the State defers prosecution and does not require a plea to be entered. This will all depend on how the program is set up and offered. Even though there is evidence against her and she submitted to a breath test, it does not mean that she will not be allowed to enter, if offered.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any way to check on whether this county (Walworth County) offers this diversion program?

She can contact the prosecutors office today or tomorrow and inquire about the diversion programs set up. If she can not speak with anyone, when she appears in court and her case is called, she can ask what options she has an explain to the court the desire to keep her record clean.
CrimDefense and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you