Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

A friend is in the penal farm on a 6month sentence and is on

A friend is in the penal farm on a 6month sentence and is on probation my question is should he(though me) report this to his probation officer or should he not this charge is possession and the charge before was drugs as well he agreed as i do that he needs treatment can the probation officer place him in a facility or does he need to hire a lawyer to handle this matter?

He would have to discuss this with probation himself and should not need a lawyer. If he is presently eligble for an in-house program or for a release to an outside program, he can apply and be considered for it. If not, he would be able to make his own arrangements on the outside once he is at liberty again, with the knowledge and approval of probation, that is

If at that point probation doesn't go along with treatment, then he would need a lawyer to get a decision from the judge, as the judge has the power to overrule probation. But probation would be ulikely to stand in the way of a probationer who needed a drug program.