Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I am in drug court in Florida. I was given a 48 hour jail

I am in drug court in Florida. I was given a 48 hour jail sanction. The jail held me for an extra 3 hours. this may seam minor, but I understand this happens quit often. there is no reason for them to keep people longer than expected. Is this a violation of my civil rights and is there anything I can do to stop this from happening to other people
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name isXXXXX am Florida licensed attorney and I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

yes

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

What has caused this 3 hour delay for you?

Customer:

I'm not sure. I told the guard a should have been release an hour ago and when he finally got around to calling the front office, he said that it was a good thing because they didn't know why I was not gone yet. From what I heard, this has happened to a number of my friends in drug court. The usual excuse is that they have to process the paperwork. this makes no sense, they had 48 hours to figure it out. I feel the jailers are lazy and just don't care.

Alex J. Esq. :

Thank you for your follow up.

Alex J. Esq. :

Absolutely, this does happen to many people, as I personally have seen similar delays when it comes to releasing inmates after they serve their time and in some cases the delays can be days and in some extreme cases weeks.

Alex J. Esq. :

I agree with you, that correction employees are not most efficient ones...

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, such brief and minor delays are generally not legally actionable and do not constitute violation of inmate's civil rights and the only recourse would be to file a formal complaint with the Director of the Department of Corrections and also jail administration.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

yes

Alex J. Esq. :

I completely agree with you, that being in jail even a minute longer than you have to be, is outrageous and should not be happening.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Customer:

no you have answered everything to my satisfaction. thank you very much.

Alex J. Esq. :

Once again, I am sorry that you had been subject to this unfortunate injustice.

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required.

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor