Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

i was given a notice too appear in court on the 26 of this

i was given a notice too appear in court on the 26 of this month on a misdamenoer for petty on so much morphine and am disabled i walked out of the store too call my daughter on phone by there door....of corse the securty didnt believe me i told him i was confussed i couldnt remenber what my daughter wanted me to get her...ive been so ill i dont have a car or any-one too take me to court taxis only run at night here in arcata and i have to be there at 800am not sure i could make it anyway my wiehts down to 105 and very week...what can i do? help!!!
Hello Jacustomer,

I'm sorry to hear that it would be a hardship for you to get to court, but you need to make some kind of an arrangement, because otherwise, the judge will issue a warrant for your arrest if you fail to appear.

The best way would be to get yourself a letter from your doctor explaining the seriousness of your medical condition. Then you would hire a lawyer who could come to court on your behalf and alert the court and the DA to your documented health situation. With a petty theft, he might even be able to resolve most of this matter without you.

If you cannot afford a lawyer, you will have to find someone who can take you to court on the first date. Then you could plead not guilty, ask for a public defender and the lawyer could take it from there. Once it's known how ill you are, a lawyer will generally be able to get your appearance excused on most dates if there are no important proceedings.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if i pleade guity im told theres a this true? also is there a way to contact the court to get a extention...give me more time to get someone to take me?

If this is your first arrest and you want to plead guilty to this charge (which would give you a criminal record), you would probably be able to get a fine, if that's what you want. DAs also offer probation for something like this which, because of your health, you would not be a good candidate.

You can call the clerk of the court and explain that you will need to get another court date because you have to make special arrangements to get to court because of your health. If he can't excuse you and give you the new date himself, he will tell you who you can write to in order to get the extension.

Again, if you can afford a lawyer, the lawyer can show up without you and explain why you couldn't be there. Then you wouldn't have to change the date at all.