Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

I am curious about doctor shopping laws in New York State.

I am curious about doctor shopping laws in New York State. In the last few weeks I have received a prescription for adderall from my general practitioner, as well as my psychiatrist. They are not large prescriptions, but I have been doing this for a while. My GP knows about my receiving prescriptions from the Psychiatrist, but the Psychiatrist does not know about the GP. Any advice?

Thank you for the information and your question. I cannot give you legal advice, since the terms of this Site prohibit that since we cannot form an attorney-client relationship, however, I can discuss the law with you and provide you with links to those laws.

What you described, with one doctor not knowing what the other doctor is prescribing a controlled substance to you, and receiving two prescriptions for the same controlled substance, is unlawful. You can see the laws that prohibit this at:

This could be charged as a felony, for every time this is done. In other words, each time is a separate count. So, it can be very serious. You should know now that there are reporting requirements for doctors and pharmacies and programs to pick up irregularities. So, you should consider that as you move forward.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to try to assist you further if I can.