Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am a US citizen. I am living out of the country. I want to

I am a US citizen. I am living out of the country. I want to fly to the states for a visit. I have an outstanding warrant for a DUI. Will I have an issue at the airport entering or leaving? I have a valid US passport
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times, I am afraid.

Yes, you will have a problem. If you have a warrant for a DUI, you will be stopped by ICE/CBP and held, and then transported to the Court that had issued the warrant.

When you enter the country, your identity is ran through the NCIC database. The National Crime Information Center (NCIC) combines the following databases:

-Sexual Offender Registry;
-Foreign Fugitive;
-Immigration Violator (USCIS/ICE/CBP);
-Violent Gang and Terrorist Organization;
-Wanted Persons files (federal and state warrants)

Therefore, to have no trouble upon entering USA, you may wish to retain counsel ahead of time to quash the warrant possibly and put up a bond, and deal with the matter upon entering the USA. Because if not, you very well may be detained upon entry. I am very sorry.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)