Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Hello I was convicted of a DUI last year (first-time) in

Hello

I was convicted of a DUI last year (first-time) in the state of California. On my college application, it asks if I was ever convicted of a criminal offense.

Is a DUI considered a criminal offense?

Thank You
Hi Jacustomer,

I'd love to be able to tell you what you want to hear, but unfortunately, yes, a DUI is a California misdmeanor and you are going to have to disclose it on your college application.

If you were to get the conviction set aside, you would not have to disclose it, unless you were applying for a government job or license. So you should look into that, because it is something you may find helpful when you get out of school 4 years from now.

California is more generous than most states it comes to getting criminal offenses off of your record. And they even have an expungement self-help center which is very helpful. I have linked you to the site. The site will allow you to check your eligibility for an expungment and then, if you are eligible will walk you through all the rest of it, step by step. California has also provides all the downloadable expungement forms you will need to complete the process right there.

Navigating it is at first a little tricky. When you use the self-help link above and get to the home page, click on "Criminal Law" from the column on the left. Then click on "Cleaning your Criminal Record," scroll down towards the bottom of the page to the links and expand them so that you can see all of the steps.

Good luck!