Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

I was charged with Contributing to the delinquency of a minor

I was charged with Contributing to the delinquency of a minor in the state of Mi. This is my first offense of any kind and I just want to know what I am facing.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

In Michigan, contributing to the delinquency of a minor is a misdemeanor, which means that it is punishable by up to one year of imprisonment. However, if you do not have a criminal record, depending on the facts of what happened, it is more likely that you would be asked to serve a term of probation and ordered to pay a fine or maybe do community service. If there is even the remotest possibility that the prosecutor will ask you to serve jail time, and you cannot afford an attorney, the judge will appoint one for you.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Lucy,

Thank you for the quick and thorough response, it is very appreciated. I do have one more question but I will need to give you some background information. When the officer arrived on the scene I fled and got away, but felt so bad about it that I turned myself in that night (I know, I should have my head examined). I am only being charged with Contributing to the Delinquency of a minor. I did put in my statement that I fled and that I turned myself in. Do you see this impacting the court's decision at all?

If you are able to reach a plea agreement, then the judge usually upholds whatever agreement you make with the prosecutor. The fact that you turned yourself in could help with those negotiations.

if you go to trial, the judge will look at all proven facts when deciding a sentence. You would have the ability to try to argue that turning yourself in should count in your favor.