Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
17897874

I live in ohio. I am bring charged with contributing to the

Customer Question

I live in ohio. I am bring charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. It is alcohol related. I have never been in trouble my entire life. What can I expect to happen. This happened last Monday. So far I have not heard from or been questioned by police. But I am hearing from the children involved that they are going to press charges. How long before this will happen. Will they arrest me at home or will they send a letter to appear in court. The charge was in ashtabula county ohio. If there was more than 1 child can separate charges and sentencing be a possibility.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

There is nothing to do until you hear from the police, if at all. The other parties may change their minds or the police may elect to not pursue the matter if their is not probable cause to arrest you.

In all likelihood, they would call you to come to the station to be questioned and arrest you then.

If you get the call to come for questioning, you should decline. You do not know what the police know and you could inadvertently make their case for them by making statements.

You do not need to retain an attorney unless the police tell you that you will be arrested if you do not come to the station.

Here is the statute:

2919.24 Contributing to unruliness or delinquency of a child.
(A) No person, including a parent, guardian, or other custodian of a child, shall do any of the following:

(1) Aid, abet, induce, cause, encourage, or contribute to a child or a ward of the juvenile court becoming an unruly child, as defined in section 2151.022 of the Revised Code, or a delinquent child, as defined in section 2152.02 of the Revised Code;

(2) Act in a way tending to cause a child or a ward of the juvenile court to become an unruly child, as defined in section 2151.022 of the Revised Code, or a delinquent child, as defined in section 2152.02 of the Revised Code;

(3) If the person is the parent, guardian, or custodian of a child who has the duties under Chapters 2152. and 2950. of the Revised Code to register, register a new residence address, and periodically verify a residence address, and, if applicable, to send a notice of intent to reside, and if the child is not emancipated, as defined in section 2919.121 of the Revised Code, fail to ensure that the child complies with those duties under Chapters 2152. and 2950. of the Revised Code.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of contributing to the unruliness or delinquency of a child, a misdemeanor of the first degree. Each day of violation of this section is a separate offense.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long before I would hear anything from police. And is there separate penalty for each child. There were 5 children involved
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for following up.

If you do not hear from the police within a month, you can probably assume it is not going anywhere.

Each child is a separate count.

I hope this is helpful.

JudgeLaw
Loren, Lawyer
Experience: Former administrative hearing officer
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):  http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-JudgeLaw/

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Jane, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So in the state of ohio I could possibly get 5 years of jail time? Would it be concurrent or consecutive?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
It is up to the discretion of the judge.

But you are getting way ahead of yourself. First you have to be charged, it has to go through discovery and pretrial motions, plea bargaining, trial and conviction. With an otherwise clean record, you are not very likely to get the maximum penalties if convicted.

Just take it one step at a time. You have not even been contacted by police.

I know it is difficult, but just sit tight and do not talk about the case with anyone.

JudgeLaw
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much!
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spoke with you yesterday. I was wondering if I am arrested how should I plead?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Jane, for following up.

You should plead not guilty, but retain local defense counsel if you are charged. Remember, it is the state's burden to prove guilt. You are presumed innocent. If arrested, make no statements. Do not let yourself be interrogated without your attorney being present. If they try to question you, demand to call your attorney.

I hope this is helpful.

JudgeLaw
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome Jane.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I went to prison for this offense would it be the county jail or a state facility?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane,

It would be a county jail.

But, again, you are getting way ahead of yourself. Just sit tight for now.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw