Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

It has come to my attention i wrote 4 bad checks in SC I almost

It has come to my attention i wrote 4 bad checks in SC I almost cant believe it so i sent for the proof they have. It was a business account to a liquor company(supplier) They said if just pay the checks andXXXXXcost and no problem. I apparently wrote the checks in nov 2006.They told with court fees the total was 2950 dollars. Is there a stutue of limitation on this. Oh ya the officer also told me It was put on me record just this May(2013) but he said it looked like it was on there came off and got put back on. It all just sounded like too much.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

When you say an "officer" told you it was put on your record, can you explain what you mean?

Who is the officer and what record?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ya sorry about that. I got pulled over for speeding and it came up on his screen. He said he didnt arrest me because i now live in missouri and it to far from SC.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am another expert on JustAnswer. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and I am afraid that this is one of these times.

There is a statute of limitations for bad checks. It is 180 days from the date that the check was written, per S.C. Code Ann. § 34-11-60. However, that is to charge someone with bad check law.

Once charged, there is a warrant for your arrest. If so, then the warrant itself has no statute of limitations, so provided you were charged in 180 days from writing the bad checks (and I assume you were), the warrant stays "live" indefinitely, and once you are "caught," you may be prosecuted in SC.

Oh ya the officer also told me It was put on me record just this May(2013) but he said it looked like it was on there came off and got put back on. It all just sounded like too much.

Likely, that is because someone input it wrong into the national warrant database, took it out, and put it back in. This happens sometimes. It does not affect the matter at all.

At this time, you can if you wish contact an attorney in SC and have them possibly QUASH the warrant with the help of a bail-bondman and create a court date for your appearance, at which time the matter may be negotiated away. Since this is a relatively minor matter, the prosecutor is likely to agree to drop the charges or otherwise agree to a non-conviction provided that the checks are paid. Otherwise, I would strongly caution about entering SC as if you are stopped by a peace officer in that state, they may not be as hesitant to arrest you as the other officer who spared you - they could have actually arrested you, notified SC, and transported you to SC to stand trial.

Your next step should be to contact an attorney in SC to take care of this. Again, this is relatively minor, and is likely going to be taken care of easily, but it does have to occur.

May I recommend the SC Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I spoke with a lady in the bad check unit in SC she told me if I paid everything plus the 82 dollars I would not have to appear in court. Should I make sure there are no felonies If I go this rout. And do you think she can be trusted with what she tells me. Or do you think an attorney should facilitate the process

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

You can ask the person you spoke with, but if you can simply pay, then it is likely a misdemeanor. I don't trust anyone who holds my.life and record in their hands, and neither should you. What if they make a mistake? An attorney. Should be used for peace of mind.

Kindly CONTINUE the conversation, or RATE when finished. A bonus is not expected but is very much appreciated

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.