Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

i have court for 1st time marijuana possession & paraphenalia

i have court for 1st time marijuana possession & paraphenalia charge in maryland should i get a lawyer or public defender
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

If you can afford your own attorney that's usually the best option. That's not because public defenders are bad lawyers, but because they're busy with several dozen, if not hundreds, of clients. If you do not have a record and these are your first charges your lawyer ought to be able to work out a plea deal that will keep these off your record.

A list of every lawyer referral service in Maryland is provide by their state bar association here

http://www.msba.org/public/referral.asp

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

lets say i roll the dice and go to court just myself, what is worst possible outcome? this is 1st time offense, will there be hefty fines or is there possiblity of jail time? im very nervous and worried due to being single father of 8 motnh old.

If your income is low enough you'll qualify for a public defender (the judge determines that, and each judge has their own way of doing it). Going in by yourself is always the worst option.

The worst case scenario is jail time, though that is unlikely considering your lack of a criminal record. Realistically fines and / or probation are most likely. All the same, don't consider going in alone considering what you have to lose. If you can't afford an attorney contact the public defender's office. They can assure you a better outcome.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I also made a mistake, the Court date is for Deleware not Maryland, but that being said i honestly kinda put it off and the date is scheduled for tommorow is that enough time to have either Lawyer/Public Defender postpone or reschedule or did i mess myself up by waiting?

You can still probably get appointed a public defender tomorrow in court. Of course, if this is the first setting the court will give you another court date in order to obtain a lawyer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fortunately this is the Arraignment so I'm hoping it can be pushed back. Do you happen to have any referneces for lawyers in Deleware?

Arraignment is your first court date. You'll get another one.

The Delaware lawyer referral services can be found here

http://www.dvls.org/LRS_Public.htm
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for taking some weight off my mind, I am still very scared but little bit better and can't wait to get this behind me.

You'll be fine. It's just scary because of the unknown. I've done criminal defense for over ten years. Get a lawyer - you'll be okay.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much again I really appreciate everything! I just can't wait for it to be done and behind me! You've helped me out tremendously!

You are certainly welcome. Just to be sure to rate my service before you go.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey Nate, I just wanted to let you know how my ordeal went yesterday since you helped me tremendously. Well I went in seeing what type of deal they might offer before getting counsel due to arraignment. The prosecuter offered to drop my charges to "attempted possession" which if judge were to accept would only be $100 fine plus court cost, that being much better then possibility of up to 6 months jail and up to $1500 fine! The prosecuter explained all my rights and that didn't have to accept but I did and took my chance. That being said judge did accept it but 1st not without trying to ridicule me which I guess I understand. So all had to do was pay fines and the PBJ would along with charges being dropped! What a weight off my mind. Thanks again for all your help! I def reccomend using this service!
I always like to hear back from folks that we helped them. I'm glad it went well and it sounds like you definitely got a good result. Thanks for letting me know!