Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

what is the procedure for police when they are told about a

what is the procedure for police when they are told about a break in involving money being stolen from your residence?
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

I'm gathering something odd happened in this instance. I can more effectively assist you if I know occurred. If you could, please summarize how the police responded to the break-in complaint.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not called police at this time as I wanted to know first what is involved.

Okay. Once you call them they will send out an officer, maybe two, to take a report based on what you tell and show them. After that, anything that is stolen will be noted and a BOLO (be on the lookout) will be entered into the system for the property. If you have an idea who may have broken into your home the police will investigate that individual. After that it is a waiting game to see if anything happens.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do the police have to come into your home? meaning can you conduct an interview outside of your home? For instance in the driveway? And will the police think that it is strange if you don't want them in your home?

You can go to the station and make the complaint if you like. There is no requirement that they come to your home in order to do it.