Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  20 years trial experience in defense of criminal cases

If there is a check that is both parties name and the individuals

If there is a check that is both parties name and the individuals are separated and the one party signs your name without your consent. How do you have to press charges or can you press charges?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 12 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Sorry for your situation.

I presume there is a marriage separation currently - correct?

Who is the check from AND what did they do with the check - deposit it into a joint account or what?

Is there a Family Court action already pending or filed?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Smile

Expert:  Law Pro replied 12 months ago.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yes as of earlier this week based on mediation. That was one of the issues disagreeing on date but it goes back to August 2011 for separation date.Smile

Expert:  Law Pro replied 12 months ago.
Last question - who is the check from AND what did they (the spouse) do with the check - deposit it into a joint account or what?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

It was from Progressive insurance for the balance of what the value of the motorcycle which was titled in both names. The husband deposited it into his checking account. The checking account was not a joint account. Smile

Expert:  Law Pro replied 12 months ago.
His forging your signature on the check is definitely illegal.

While it wouldn't be considered illegal in the past, before the separation, it is since the separation.

So you have 3 options now - you can do individually or all together (potentially - #3 may be a problem if the court determines that the Family Court has jurisdiction in the matter which is usually what they will do under the circumstances):

1) file criminal charges with the District Attorney's office in the matter, and

2) file a motion for contempt and sanctions against him with the Family Court - that he wrongfully forged your signature without your knowledge and consent and stole your monies. the judge would at least sanction him and mandate that he turn over the monies and pay your attorney's fees

3) file suit in civil court for 1/2 the monies - but usually they will dismiss the action and state that the Family Court has jurisdiction over the dispute.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).
Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: 20 years trial experience in defense of criminal cases