Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

C.s.r 18-3-402 is very clear about what constitutes sexual

C.s.r 18-3-402 is very clear about what constitutes sexual crimes, among other things it makes mention of rules regaurding sexual relations for actors who are under seventeen. It alludes to an "age of consent" by infering it is no crime for seventeen year olds to have sexual relations with any age group. However this is seemingly in conflict with CSR 18-3-404 which prohibits among other things sexual contact between an adult and a "child" defined as any person under 18. Many legal sources online including wikipedia.com and sexfacts.org point to the fact that it is legal (in colorado) for 17 year olds to have consentual sexual relations with other adults provided that adult is not in a position of trust. Is this true or does CSR 18-3-404 provide grounds for prosecution if an adult were to have sex with a 17 year old?

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Customer:

Yes i am

Alex Esquire :

I reviewed both statutes.

Alex Esquire :

And the legal age of consent is 17 in Ohio, unless the adult is in a position of authority.

Customer:

Ohio? That doesnt help me much. Im in colorado.

Alex Esquire :

However, CSR 18-3-404 addresses coercion of someone under 18

Alex Esquire :

I meant Colorado, sorry.

Alex Esquire :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

I see. So if the 17 year old is coerced in any way that can be prosecuted but a 17 year old can have sex consentually with adults?

Alex Esquire :

Correct.

Customer:

Thank you for your help. Would you consider your definition at all opinion based or is the answer you gave me the same most other experts would naturally agree on?

Alex Esquire :

We are only permitted to provide JustAnswer.com customer with general answers to the customer's question and not any type of legal opinion or legal advice, due to the rules of this website and various state laws.

Customer:

I see. Thank you.

Alex Esquire :

However, if you want to obtain a legal opinion that would be recognized by the court, it can only be obtained from the Colorado Attorney General

Customer:

Excellent advice.

Alex Esquire :

You can write to the Colorado AG with your question and the AG Office will provide you with valid written opinion that would be binding on the prosecutor's office and the court.

Alex Esquire :

Does this make sense?