Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

I had a felony warrant for posession of meth under a gram.

Customer Question

I had a felony warrant for posession of meth under a gram. Arrest was last year. I agreed to cooperate with the police im order to have my charges dropped. After about 2 months, the officer stop contacting me. This year in May, I had a severe panic attack and my husband called 911. That night officers informed me that I had a felony warrant pending. So they took me to a psych ward on a 24 hour hold. The next morning I was transferred 28 private psychiatric facility where I stayed for 6 days. Upon admittance to this facility an interview was held with me buy a registered nurse. Upon completion of that interview she told me you are a free woman. Does this mean that my felony charge was dropped? Or does that mean that my felony warrant was lifted and nothing else? I contacted Dallas County Municipal Court and was informed that she could not see sny outstanding charges nor warrants. For my own sanity I would really like to confirm this.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Nate and I have over ten years of criminal law experience. I will be assisting you today.

This could mean a variety of things. The warrant may be pending but no longer active due to your promised cooperation. Usually psychiatric hospitals have special wings for people who are subject to release into police custody. Based on my experience, since they discharged you, I would guess either that the warrant is inactive or no longer exists.

When it comes to warrants, the police don't give out the information freely because they don't want people fleeing or hiding if they know there is a warrant out for them. There is no way to know for certain without going to the police station yourself and inquiring personally (which obviously subjects you to arrest if it is active and the hospital made an error).

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. I have not received any correspondence whatsoever in the mail regarding a court date or warrant status. I suppose I'll try contacting the main DPS in Austin, TX & try to get some clarification.

Expert:  Nate replied 1 year ago.
They aren't going to divulge warrant information without you being there in person. There are two options: lay low and hope there isn't one, or go check on it and have bond money and an attorney lined up for your defense just in case.
Expert:  Nate replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else I can assist you with on your question?

Just let me know,