Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

Hello. Over ten years ago I was charged for something like

Hello. Over ten years ago I was charged for something like disturbing the peace or something like that I cannot remember if that was the charge and I paid $152 I did a police record of myself through CBI and nothing showed up on the report. My question is does a charge ever drop of your file and if not how can I get it expunged from my record. How do I get the forms? Thank you

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Criminal convictions are not like traffic violations - they never drop off a person's record. Any ticket or charge that a person gets is always accessible by law enforcement. It stays there unless expunged.

With that said, if you're pulling your own criminal record, you should see the charge. You may want to contact the court in the county where you got the ticket to see if they have any record of it. It's possible that you had some sort of agreement where the ticket was dismissed after you paid a fine, and that's why you're not seeing it. The court should have record that show what happened.

If you are near a military base, national forests, or other federal property, you may also want to check your FBI record, in case you were cited by a federal officer. That might be a reason that you're not seeing the charge on your Colorado record check.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/criminal-history-summary-checks

If you cannot locate the charge, there's nothing to expunge. If your record shows a conviction, unfortunately, neither federal law nor Colorado state law allows a conviction to be removed from a person's record.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.