MyraB
MyraB, Lawyer
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in criminal law and civil litigation from pre-trial practice to appeal.
74614265

I GOT INTO AN ACCIDENT LEFT THE SCENE AND REPORTED BACK TO

Customer Question

I GOT INTO AN ACCIDENT LEFT THE SCENE AND REPORTED BACK TO THE SCENE. pLEASE ADVISE THE CONSEQUENCES
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  MyraB replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question.

In order to provide the most useful and relevant answer, please let me know what state you are in and how soon after you left did you go back to the accident scene?

Also, was someone injured or was there just property damage?

Thank you. I look forward to working with you to provide the information you seek.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Florida
No injury
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Florida
No injury
Expert:  MyraB replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response.

Leaving the scene of an accident with property damage in Florida is a second degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 60 days in jail and a fine of up to $500.00. This is the maximum penalty and is not an indication of the disposition you would receive.

Although you did not say how soon after you left that you went back to the accident scene, your action of notifying the police and returning to the scene of the accident would likely be considered favorably in any offer of a plea agreement or disposition.

At this point, you may want to consult with an attorney who would be in the best position to advise you with regard to your options based on the unique circumstances of your case. If you cannot afford an attorney, you would be entitled to have an attorney appointed by the court.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions.