How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26348
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We bailed my brother-in-law out of jail (in Alabama), where

This answer was rated:

We bailed my brother-in-law out of jail (in Alabama), where he was being held on a cocaine possession charge. He was arrested in Sept 2012, and we got him out Feb 2013 on a $3,000 bond. He has not been indited (spelling?). His court appointed lawyer said he could sit there for 1.5 to 2 years before his case would be heard, due to the courts in that state being "backed up". We brought him to Wyoming, gave him a job at our place of business and set him up to live with us. Now, after being here for 6 months, he said he is "out of here". He packed up his bags and took off. Where do we stand? He has a cell phone and he said to call him when we get word of his court date. The paperwork from the courts (in Alabama) say that if he doesn't show up at his court date, they will charge us for a bounty hunter to track him down. I am afraid that we will be on the hook for several thousand MORE dollars, to find him.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. Was there any restriction on him leaving the State, once he was bonded out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No restrictions on leaving the state. The court appointed attorney, the court and the jail know that he was released into my husbands custody. They also have received a certified letter stating his new mailing address, so they can get the paperwork to us for the trial date.

Linda, thank you for the additional information. If he fails to show, the bond would be revoked and you could be responsible and lose any collateral you put up, for his release. A warrant would be issued for his arrest and he could be taken into custody, if found. In a situation like this, if you do not want to remain on the bond, you would need go before the Judge and asked to be let off the bond. It would be at the discretion of the Judge since if that is granted, there would be nothing in place to secure his appearance. If he was willing to appear with you, the court could impose electronic monitoring or some other type of pretrial release but if you appear in court and just say you do not know where he is, the Judge may not be so inclined to let you walk away, since the reason he was released in the first place, was a result of your securing his appearance in the future. At this point, once a court date is set, you need to call him, email him and mail his notice, so that he can appear, so you are not held responsible.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
CrimDefense and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions