How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MyraB Your Own Question
MyraB, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 371
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in criminal law and civil litigation from pre-trial practice to appeal.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
MyraB is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work as a court reporter for the Los Angeles Superior Court

Customer Question

I work as a court reporter for the Los Angeles Superior Court and have a judge who is harassing me by using police officers to follow me and having those officers use a low frequency device to eavesdrop on me. He knows that I can't file a complaint because I am a recovering addict. What do you recommend I do? who could I turn to for help that would believe me?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  MyraB replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear of your situation.

The conduct you describe can be reported to the Commission on Judicial Performance. The Commission is an independent state agency responsible for investigating complaints of judicial misconduct. Information on the Commission and the process to file a complaint can be found here

There is no reason you can't file a complaint. There is no requirement that you be somehow without faults to be a victim of harrassment and file a complaint. You have every right to do so if you believe the judge is abusing his position.

I wish you well and please feel free to ask any follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am afraid of retaliation. I have recordings of him through my steno machine and computer and he knew it. When he let me go I went to Burbank court and my mAchine was destroyed and my car was broken into and computer was destroyed costing me over $20,000. I found out it is Glendale police department who is helping him. One of them is a sgt
Expert:  MyraB replied 3 years ago.

It may be that the best way to protect yourself from retaliation is to put it on the record and file a complaint. If he has gone to the lengths you describe when you haven't done anything as yet to challenge him, then making any allegations public may provide you some protection and make him back off. It is unlikely that he would continue to harass you after you've filed a complaint and provide even more evidence to substantiate your allegations.

I understand that this is not an easy decision and I'm just trying to provide some perspective and an option. How you decide to proceed is up to you.