Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  20 years trial experience in defense of criminal cases
11688690

statue of limitations for theft under 1,000 in maryland

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Sorry for the situation.

The criminal statutes of limitations generally are in sections 5-106 and 5-107 of the Courts and Judicial Proceedings part of the Maryland Code; MD Code, Crim. Law § 2-102.

Misdemeanors in general: within one year

So the statute of limitations would be one year for the alleged theft of $1k.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).

Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: 20 years trial experience in defense of criminal cases
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There was a lawyer that looked it up and said two years what about the statue in state of MAryland for theft under a 1,000

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
I don't know where he got 2 years - that's wrong.

No SOL for Felony Offenses; 1 Year SOL for Misdemeanors : Maryland has no time limitation for prosecutions of felonies. See Clark v. State, 744 A.2d 113, n.8 (Md. 2001). Most sexual offenses are classified as felonies. MD. CODE ANN., CRIM. LAW §§ 3-301 to -324 (2008). Misdemeanors may be prosecuted within 1 year. MD. CODE ANN., CTS. & JUD. PROC. § 5-106 (2008).

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
If you have additional questions on this issue - you should continue on with this question instead of asking a new question.

What more do you need?
Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
You asked: just ask about theft under 1,000 what about this lawyer read in a book stat was two years not one and with me writing a note in May would that change things

It's clear - check the statute out that I have given you - the statute of limitations is one year.

I don't know what book or resource that other attorney used but go directly to the State of Maryland and double check the code numbers I gave you.

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.

PRO LAW PLEASE ANSWER WHAT IF I WROTE A LETTER STATING RESTITUTION CULD THAT SUPERSEED THE STATUE

No. The statute starts to run at the time of the offense - that letter would have no control or start the statute of limitations from starting at that time or re-starting at that time.

The statute of limitations is one year from the date of the alleged event or crime.

Law Pro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MR PRO BONO THANK YOU SO MUCH

Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.
You are very, very welcome!!