Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

How much would it cost to defend my 28 year old nephew assused

How much would it cost to defend my 28 year old nephew assused of sexual misconduct with a minor?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark www.nateanswers.com for future questions.

Before answering, I just wanted to make sure you knew that his public defender going on maternity leave will be replaced for him.

If you want someone completely outside the public defender's office, the rates can vary widely depending on the lawyer and part of the country. There are lawyers who split fees (one amount to appear and represent and an additional sum to go to trial), some require one lump sum up front, and others allow for payment plans. You're looking anywhere from a few thousand dollars to as much as $15 - $20 thousand. It's just a matter of calling around.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

My nephew was not given his Miranda right at his arrest in February 2013. When asked If he did the crime he was accused of he answered: "I don't know. I was drunk at the time." This statement was taken as an admission of guilt.He is now in protective custody because of physical abuse do to his alleged crime. We fear for his life because he has been poorly represented from the beginning. The Kenton County Kentucky judge is very arrogant and will not grant reasonable bond or other suggestions by defense counsel. "He's a dangerous individual, they say" and refuse to do anything else.

Expert:  Nate replied 12 months ago.
All you can do is try to find a private lawyer represent him, then. That's the only way to attack the illegal admission and the other aspects of this defense. As the public defender's office is giving a lacking defense, start calling lawyers in the county and surrounding counties who state they do criminal defense work.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

The alleged crime was committed in Ohio. He is a Kentucky resident and was arrested 6 days later by Ft. Mitchell, Ky police. He is being held in the Kenton County Detention Center (KY). Do we need an attorney that is licensed in both Ohio & KY?

Expert:  Nate replied 12 months ago.
You only need an attorney licensed where he is being charged, which would be Ohio.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

This is my last question: Since this is an Ohio matter, Why is he detained and facing judgment in KY?

Expert:  Nate replied 12 months ago.
All that matters is where he goes to court. That's the licensed lawyer you need.

States sometimes have agreements regarding holding each other's inmates. That wouldn't be unusual. But you need a lawyer licensed where he is appearing in court.
Nate, Lawyer
Experience: Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.