How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10685
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much would it cost to defend my 28 year old nephew assused

This answer was rated:

How much would it cost to defend my 28 year old nephew assused of sexual misconduct with a minor?
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark for future questions.

Before answering, I just wanted to make sure you knew that his public defender going on maternity leave will be replaced for him.

If you want someone completely outside the public defender's office, the rates can vary widely depending on the lawyer and part of the country. There are lawyers who split fees (one amount to appear and represent and an additional sum to go to trial), some require one lump sum up front, and others allow for payment plans. You're looking anywhere from a few thousand dollars to as much as $15 - $20 thousand. It's just a matter of calling around.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My nephew was not given his Miranda right at his arrest in February 2013. When asked If he did the crime he was accused of he answered: "I don't know. I was drunk at the time." This statement was taken as an admission of guilt.He is now in protective custody because of physical abuse do to his alleged crime. We fear for his life because he has been poorly represented from the beginning. The Kenton County Kentucky judge is very arrogant and will not grant reasonable bond or other suggestions by defense counsel. "He's a dangerous individual, they say" and refuse to do anything else.

All you can do is try to find a private lawyer represent him, then. That's the only way to attack the illegal admission and the other aspects of this defense. As the public defender's office is giving a lacking defense, start calling lawyers in the county and surrounding counties who state they do criminal defense work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The alleged crime was committed in Ohio. He is a Kentucky resident and was arrested 6 days later by Ft. Mitchell, Ky police. He is being held in the Kenton County Detention Center (KY). Do we need an attorney that is licensed in both Ohio & KY?

You only need an attorney licensed where he is being charged, which would be Ohio.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is my last question: Since this is an Ohio matter, Why is he detained and facing judgment in KY?

All that matters is where he goes to court. That's the licensed lawyer you need.

States sometimes have agreements regarding holding each other's inmates. That wouldn't be unusual. But you need a lawyer licensed where he is appearing in court.
Nate and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions