Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

In Missouri can a conversation be taped with neither party

In Missouri can a conversation be taped with neither party knowing the conversation is being taped
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

The answer is no. Unless the taping party has consent of at least one of the individuals in a conversation, the conversation cannot be taped. Mo. Ann. Stat. § 542.402.

The exception to this is a reasonable expectation of privacy. If the conversational parties have a reasonable expectation of privacy, then the conversation cannot be taped. If they do not, then it may be.

Example: Normal-voice conversation at a restaurant table cannot be taped. However, talking loudly in a public park has no reasonable expectation of privacy and may be taped.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What are the damages??? Is this criminal???

S,

This may be criminal and civil in nature.

Criminally, if the person does this without authorization and with the individuals he was recording having a reasonable expectation of privacy, then they may face a class D felony (up to four years in prison).

Civilly, the individual may be sued for invasion of privacy, and face punitive damages in judgment.

If this is not what you had wanted to hear, I am sorry. Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Thank you for your gratuity.