Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  9 years legal experience, primarily in criminal justice
12176198

A few years back I had a situation involving the FBI and ever

A few years back I had a situation involving the FBI and ever since then, have been a bit paranoid, as one can imagine. I walked outside of my apartment in the city today and noticed a man off to the side against the building wearing khakis and a polo shirt, just standing there against the wall. Something about him didn't seem right. As if he was waiting for someone to come out of the building. Then as I started walking down the street, I noticed a man in a black suit with a black tie and white shirt, albeit he didn't seem to notice me as I walked down the entire block. There are many town car drivers in the city and if I recall many wear a black suit, white shirt and black tie. But, do any Federal Agents ever wear this combination from what you have seen?

Of course, most likely I am simply paranoid, albeit to make me feel at ease, I am looking for a lawyer with experience being around US Federal Agents. I know they used to wear black suits and black skinny ties long ago.. yet from what I know, that mode of dress is from a bygone era.

I am most likely thinking he was a town car driver. Black suit, white shirt and black tie.

Can you tell me in your experience with law enforcement, have you ever seen an FBI agent wear a 'black' suit, white shirt and a 'black' skinny tie in this modern era? As well, have you seen an agent wear khakis and polos out on duty?

The man in the khakis looked at me walk out of the building and then looked away and di not do anything. And as said, the man in the dark suit across the street did not even notice me. He looked as if he was waiting for someone as well.

As said, most likely I am paranoid, from my encounter years ago; albeit I would appreciate if I should have anything to worry about or not, to put my mind at ease.

It is a secure building, as so they cannot get in without access from the main office. (Someone was most likely working and could have let them in if needed.) If they were federal agents waiting outside, would they have approached me and/or what do you think they would be doing there if they did not approach me?

Honesty on this is of course the most important, albeit anything to put my mind at ease, of course would be appreciated.

Thank you for your prompt response and thoughts on this.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.
Hello.

I have worked with federal agents from both the FBI and the ATF. Most of them just wear normal suits that you would see any businessman or lawyer wear. That is not to say that there is no possible way that one of them could wear a black suit and a skinny black tie, but I personally have never seen an agent dressed like that outside of the movies. Hope this helps put your mind at ease.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.

Yes, I read somewhere else online that someone working with agents, never actually saw an agent wearing a black suit, white shirt and black skinny tie while working around them. (aka The Men in Black look).

Just a quick question about the man in the khakis and a white polo shirt. Is this ever common field attire for an agent and/or have you ever seen a federal agent dressed in this combination (instead of the business attire/suit)?

I have serious PTSD from the incident and albeit ridiculous for many, I am sure you having worked in this field can understand what an incident with the FBI can do to someone. Thanks for your response!
I have seen agents wear polo shirts/khakis but it generally is when they are running errands, like dropping off case files to prosecutors and that sort of thing rather than on official detail. It is possible, but I think that the odds are against it for two reasons. The odds of it being an FBI agent are slim, and even if it were an FBI agent, there are lots of other people that they could be investigating. The odds that this person is not only an FBI agent who is also investigating you are significantly low. Further, when any sort of officer is on a covert investigation, they are trained to not be seen or noticed, so if you are noticing them, it is not likely they are a covert officer.
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience: 9 years legal experience, primarily in criminal justice