Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  9 years legal experience, primarily in criminal justice
12176198

Is it illegal in the state of missouri to place someone in

Customer Question

Is it illegal in the state of missouri to place someone in a political race with intentions of trying to oust someone out
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.
Hello.

No...as long as the person can legally be a candidate (age, residency requirements, etc.) and no misrepresentations were made about their candidacy or in their paperwork, a person's motivation for running is not subject to punishment. A person can run for office regardless of their reason for doing so, and a person can back that person for whatever reason, too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How about the person they put in the race did not know what the intent was of the people that put them in the race. The candidate was not aware of their intent. Is their any recourse for the person that was placed in the race and never knew they were trying to oust someone out and have someone else win.

Presumably the person entered the race of their own volition. It doesn't matter if that person's supporters had ulterior motives. It may be underhanded but it is not illegal that they kept their motives a secret. Sorry I can't give you better news.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Really??? The person they pursued to be a candidate had no idea what the supporters intention were and are you saying the candidate has no recourse???

Lots of people support candidates for different reasons, some worse than others. Some people promote and support candidates because they think the candidate will give them special favors or vote the way they want them to. Some people might support a candidate because they like their suits. No one is required to disclose why they are supporting a particular candidate, and no one can be punished for supporting a candidate for less than pure reasons.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The supporters put a candidate in a race in missouri and the candidate does not understand why they are placed in the race.. sounds deceptive to me and there should be a recourse for someone to do that to a candidate with promises but they have other intents

I don't disagree that it is an unfortunate situation but it is just not illegal to have ulterior motives. I'm sorry. It is obviously not the answer you are looking for but it is the reality of the situation.