CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

I was pulled over for my registration out on my plates "Florida

I was pulled over for my registration out on my plates "Florida Plates" but I am in Texas. I was drinking that evening and was arrested for dwi. The police officer was from Hewitt, Tx and had pulled me over in Waco, Tx, which is 1 mile away. I was never read my maranda right and taken to the county jail. There again never read my right and was scared in to taking the breath test. Are thy aloud to pull me over in a different city for my tages and take a breath test with out reading me my rights?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. Do you know if the officer first viewed your tags in Hewitt, where he had jurisdiction? Did he follow you out of that city?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the office was not in Hewitt when he pulled behind me, but in Waco and continued to fallow me for 3/4 of a mile before turning on his lights. Also the tags for Florida are on the plate (very small) and it was at night.

Robert, thank you for the additional information. The officer does need probable cause to stop the vehicle and if there was an issue with your plates, the officer would have a legal basis to stop you. If the offense was committed in his presence and in his jurisdiction, he would have a right to pull you over, even if he followed you outside of where the infraction incurred. Of course, you can always challenge the stop and the jurisdiction and fight this in court, if you think the officer was lying about the basis for the stop and could have not seen the tags at night, based upon their size. Your rights need to be read to you when you are in custody, not free to leave and being questioned about the offense for which you are being held. If the officer was not questioning you, your Miranda rights do not need to be read to you and you could be asked to submit to a breath test, without them. If the officer was questioning you and failed to read you your rights, then you could have a basis to try and suppress any admissions or statements made.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.