CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

To not be indicted for shoplifting means?

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. An indictment is a written accusation charging that an individual named therein has committed an act or omitted to do something that is punishable by law. The purpose of an indictment is to inform an accused individual of the charge against him or her so that the person will be able to prepare a defense. As such, if a person is not to be indicted, it means that they are not going to be charged by the State of New Jersey for a crime which they were accused of.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So therefore I won't have a criminal record?
That would be correct. If you were never charged and the State of New Jersey did not take any legal action, then there would not be a criminal record. It is possible that there was not enough evidence to charge you or the victim in the case spoke with the State and advised that they did not wish for them to take any action against you and the State agreed.