CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  7+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

My niece has been charged with contributing to the delinquency

My niece has been charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. (in Virginia) She was there when alcohol and weed were used. Her friend was then "raped" by my nieces boyfriend. This is a first offense and the result of a dumb decision. What options are available to my niece? She does not have any money and turned 18 in the spring. Thank you for helping us give her some direction.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 11 months ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. What she is charged with is a class 1 misdemeanor and carries with it, up to a year in jail and/or up to a $2500 fine. If she has no money at this time to retain private counsel, she will need to ask to be appointed the public defender, at her first appearance. The attorney will make a demand for discovery and look over the facts of the case, to see if she has any legal defenses to raise or if the case is worth taking to trial. If not, then a plea deal would likely be worked out, that is in her best interest. The goal for a charge like this, based upon the facts presented, would be to avoid jail and see if the prosecution would consider a probationary sentence instead, since she is a first time offender.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience: 7+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.