Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

I am on probation and have around 70 hours of community service

I am on probation and have around 70 hours of community service to do by next month but I don't have much time to complete with work. I had the choice in court to either pay for the court fine or do community service. I chose the community service to save money since I didn't have a job at the time. Now that I do have a job and can afford to pay off the community service right now, my question is can I pay off my community service instead of actually doing the community service since I don't really have the time to do it?

Thank you for the information and your question. The court will likely allow you to do what you are suggesting, but your attorney will have to make a motion to the court to amend your sentence by replacing the rest of your community service sentence with a fine. Before contacting an attorney you might speak to your probation officer and see if they would be willing to contact the prosecutor's office to see if they could just put this on the docket without a formal motion from you. That isn't always possible, but it might be worth trying first to save some money in having an attorney file a motion and go to court for you.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! I just sent an email to my probation officer to see if I can pay it off instead of performing the community service so hopefully that works out for me so I don't have to pay an attorney to go to court for me.

You're welcome and best of luck to you!